Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sing You Home.

I don't know how to deal with this season. The assumption from everyone, particularly those who don't know my history, and that segment is getting larger, as it is two year now since my little brother died, is that is his a joyful season. Only it's really not, it's a season of grieving.

Grieving is the strangest emotion, because it can coexist silently with the rest of my life for months. I notice if I'm particularly sad, or particularly happy or angry, but grief just steals into the background and I don't notice until I'm ready to beat my head off of walls in desperation and fury. Because no, grief doesn't just mean tears. At least not for me. I get angry.

This would be because my default emotion whenever I don't agree with the way something is going is to get mad. As I am not the high queen of the world and things often do not follow my grand plan, I am mad frequently. Which means I don't really need more anger in my life. Particularly here- it neither helps nor honours the person I'm grieving for if I am ready to attack the world at any moment.

Only I don't know how to not be angry. It's such a fast reaction to get into, and it's so much safer than lying myself open to the rest of the world so they can trample on me. All well-meaningly, of course.

This month will be an exercise in trying to cool down. So far I've primarily failed at that, but today this song helped. And it's lovely, even if you don't have grief/anger problems.


No comments:

My fabulous life in Microcosm! No really, it's called Twitter. Good train, you should get on.

    follow me on Twitter