Wednesday, July 30, 2008

We're in the SYSTEM now!

Day: 4
Date: 21/07/08
Event: Epcot


Disney is pretty much the embodiment of wildly successful capitalism. 47 square miles of wildly successful capitalism. Not that it's not warranted, mind you. Today was kind of our test-day, to see ho our other days will be organised. And it was very fun.

After getting through the gates, (which required a fingerprint scan, (for Homeland Security? No one knows.)) We split up into two group. Mommy, Daddy and the small ones in one group, and Slonner, PT, Walrus, Fraulein and I in another. As we're the oldest, we're sometimes refereed to as the G5, and we were unleashed on the unsuspecting theme park! *evil laugh* We commenced a detailed and carefully considered planning session.

"What's that golf ball?"
"I think it's a ride?"
"Wanna go on it?"
"Sure!"
*enters the line for Spaceship Earth*


In fact, that was the best line experience of our day. We were in the official queue for approximately 2 minutes before we were taken aside and let in the exit. Aren't we special? *preens* There was on spot on the "time travel" ride when we saw Michelangelo painting the Sistine chapel, with an Alleluia playing, and I got hit rather hard with a wave of homesickness for Augustine. I never thought I'd miss music class, but that time has arrived! :D Then we got stuck up at the top. PT spotted a pair of legs sticking out form under a car, so he was either fixing it, or we're run over him and they were bringing up the body bag. It was dark; who knows?

Anyhow, fired with enthusiasm at our short line wait, we headed over to Test Track. 50minutes later, we got on the ride. I guess not all park employees are as zealous to give special treatment! I should explain at this point, that we were told, as a wish family, that we wouldn't have to wait in lines. :D *shrug*

By the time we emerged form there, it was time for lunch. Whereupon we went to Morocco! For those not familiar with Epcot, it has 11 "international showcases," which ostensibly represent Canada, UK, France, Morocco, Japan, US, Italy, Germany, China, Norway and Mexico. We lunched at Morocco, including some truly incredible coffee.
I have absolutely no inclination to close my eyes.
Then we did all the other countries. Well, not the US or France, but those hardly count, right? *ducks*

Among the G5, it was agreed that Japan, Germany, Morocco and UK, were the best, with Japan being "The place I most wish I had money for." I almost bought a Kimono, as they were SOOO pretty, but by the time I would have bought one that wasn't rayon, with the proper accoutrement, I could easily have spent $200. Therefore I decided to wait for my trip to Japan, which will happen someday! Why wait? Because I would certainly wear it on the street, and it would keep the cringe factor down if I didn't have to say I bought it at Disney. So I bought Slonner a Parasol instead.

Then we went on the most successful ride of the day, which was Mission: SPACE. We were waved into the Fastpass line, but I'm still not sure if that was due to the Wish Uniform we were wearing or not. Anyhow, I tend to like anything vaguely space-related, and the ride its self was pretty awesome, so it was a general hit.

And now my legs are very tired. I don't usually get to where it hurts to more. At last count, that took a walk of 15 km. So we walked at least that. Oh, and after the small ones were in bed, we went to a MASSIVE Wal-mart. Truly, this takes superstore to a whole new level.

Most of the time I don't know what is an average price for Clothing, or shoes, or even media. But one thing I am very certain of is the average price of chocolate; and the bars at checkout were only 60% of the prices we get at home. Even with the exchange, that is still a significant benefit to the American shopper. I mean, no wonder the American students were aghast at Canadian Prices!

And one last discovery. I need to work on feeling more secure in public places. If I'm walking around in a basic state of insecurity, wanting only to retreat to my room, that tends to defeat the purpose of travel, no? Or maybe I can just go where there is an absence of crowds. :P

3 comments:

Bahnree said...

Lines...ohhh my gosh. That's definitely the worst thing about Disney-places/amusement parks.

it's true! Your prices are CRAZYYYYY!!! Crazy Canadians paying crazy money for chocolate!

Kemendraugh said...

I wish I had to have a fingerprint scan...it would make me feel so important! And your planning sessions rock. And you would, YOU WOULD, run over someone on your first ride at Disney, wouldn't you? *shakes head* Also, security is overrated. I'm totally a fan of perfectly normal paranoia. "AAH! That man looked at us! He's a murderer in disguise! Quick, walk past, careful not to scare the children, and we can lose him in this crowd!" Yeah, it's much healthier ^_^

Bahnree said...

haha i have to be fingerprinted for the HS job. Random, really.

My fabulous life in Microcosm! No really, it's called Twitter. Good train, you should get on.

    follow me on Twitter