Tuesday, May 5, 2009

"How did you get here?" "I took a bus, a shuttle and two planes, and caught a ride with Moon Unit's parents."

On Friday night, after arriving safely in Ottawa, Moon Unit and I hung out at mocked and stalked the College and met this year's crop of insane students, as well as several alumni from previous years. And then Moon Unit and I kept each other awake for far too long, talking and laughing. 

And then Saturday was the grad! In traditional form, most of the class came over to the College early to be nervous and offer adjectives for the Valedictorian's speech. So we hung out drank tea, talked about papers and vegetables, and were companionable for a little, and then walked over to the church where the service was taking place. 

Ruth enjoys the tea and scones.


Em and TTGH are amused.


Em and TTGH are serious. 


We reconvened in the sunny living room once the boys started to arrive.


Moon Unit and TTGH are companionable. 

The service was quite similar to last year's, only this time I sat on the other side of the church, and I didn't get a piece of paper with Latin on it. *dejected* But I got to wear a lovely black robe again!  Here is a pic of the graduating class, and a view of the church. It's a high Anglican church, in case that's not obvious from the candles, iconography, and general decor. 


After the service was the dinner, where according to tradition, the Alumni help serve the food and clean up. Which, given the hilarious and hardworking people who are Augustine Alumni, is actually oodles of fun. And it continued to be fun, despite the fact that the dishwashing took approximately two to three hours. After about 90 minutes time ceased to exist in the normal fashion. I just know that it was light when we got there, and dark and raining when we left. I was rather tired as well, so that might contribute to the haziness of my memory of that afternoon. :D The professors didn't know that I was coming either, so I had some fun moments when they did double-takes at me. 

And then we went back to the college and hung out drank tea, ate cake, and took pictures. I offer you a selection of the best pictures, for your eternal edification. 






There was a moment when, for unknown reasons, my hat started being passed around the room. And my camera was following it, taking pictures.







Write more later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you're amusing!! That's all.

My fabulous life in Microcosm! No really, it's called Twitter. Good train, you should get on.

    follow me on Twitter