Tuesday, August 12, 2008

We Don't Need No Thought Control.

I. Hate. Organized education.

It sucks the will to live right out of me. Three hours looking at classes and I'm ready to walk off the end of the wharf. Why is this? Because nothing I do is good enough. This is the stuff which I'm supposed to aspire to, and not only do I not, they won't even let me in to try.

I don't have the prerequisites, so I can't take the classes which sounds even vaguely interesting. The only things I can take are fantastic drivel such as History of WW2, where the professor wrote the textbook, and "substantially more than half the class is is devoted to the social aftereffects of the military blunders of the war." Or "reading heavy" classes, with no listed textbooks. Or, and this is good- Ealy Shakespeare. Either they miss-spelled the COURSE NAME, or it's literary theory, which I love with all my heart. (that was sarcasm, in case my mood is not being transferred adequately.)

And then I look at the actual classes which look slightly fun, (which are all third or fourth year only, and need four soul-destroying classes to approach,) and the entire grade is based on three essays. That might be fine, but of the essays, one is a thousand words and the other two are only 1500 words. This is a third year course? I was writing 1000 word essays every day when I was 15. 

For this I worked two jobs? 

*later* 

All right, I did organized education a disservice. If you are actually on campus, there are all kinds of interesting courses! It's just the distance classes which are boring, expensive, inaccessible, and/or moronic. 

Also, (of course), any immersion language program that I can find is a thousand dollars a week, while I also have to get there. 

Hah, one of the good things about having no money is having to reconsider your objectives. For example, an "immersion program?" For less money, I can buy a ticket to France and live there for my immersion. :D

 I'm not lazy, I know I'm not. I like learning things, and thinking. I just can't manage to swing a normal education. I really am never going to be able to do the typical thing, am I?

3 comments:

Bahnree said...

*pats* Jasmine you're cool enough to NOT be able to do the typical thing. :D I'm sorry distance learning is such crapola though. :( I myself am not looking forward to several core-ish classes that I'll have to suffer through. You should look into testing out of stuff. Like we have these tests called "CLEP" and you can study for them and get out of lower division classes. I dunno what the Canadian equivalent is though.

Pine Cone Boy said...

Oh my garsh I actually RECOGNIZE the quote in your title for once and I absolutely LURVE it I feel SO HAPPY!!!

Yip yip yip!

Kemendraugh said...

And what he doesn't know is that he quoted Avatar in the last sentence. Poor Zack. He just cannot fathom the ways of us Quotemasters.
Organized Ed is not going to be Augustine. We just have to get used to this. Those essays sound pretty typical to me, from what I hear about post-secondary ed.
Walking off the end of wharfs is not conducive to eudamonia. Trust me. You get all wet and soggy and you could even hit your head and die, and then we would be sad. it's not Nice.
I think prerequisites are overrated too. They suck. Listen to Stephanie and look into that stuff she said. Trust in the Stephanie, the Stephanie is good. She knows about this important stuff.

My fabulous life in Microcosm! No really, it's called Twitter. Good train, you should get on.

    follow me on Twitter