Monday, December 10, 2007

We stand with our candles and listen

I went to a "Lessons and Carols" service, (an Anglican traditional service), last night. Shall I describe it?

Walking in, I am given an order of service, and an unlit candle. After finding a pew I listen to the organ being played. My music teacher is playing Bach. Except for the candles, this seems like any other evensong service. Now the lights go out in the church, leaving only some candles on the altar and a light in the choir loft behind my head. The church suddenly feels medieval. Now the choir starts, and it does not sound human. The sound coming from behind me is entirely otherworldly, and goosebumps start up my spine. The procession moves up the aisle. It's all the clergy of the church, carrying banners, candles, and the cross. As they pass the aisle, the person nearest them lights their candle, and then the person next to them, and so on, passing the flame through the church. The service continues with hymns that we all sing, incredible choir carols, and readings from the scriptures. We stand with our candles and listen.

No comments:

My fabulous life in Microcosm! No really, it's called Twitter. Good train, you should get on.

    follow me on Twitter