Saturday, June 14, 2008

Friday the 13th! Tremble!

Yesterday, despite being a day of famous ill fate, was actually rather nondescript.

Except for one happenstance...

I was riding home from work, after a 7 hour McDay, wearing a jean skirt. (I later found out that this was my sister's jean skirt, but that fact comes into the story hardly at all.) It was pouring rain; the kind of weather where the water comes down not in drops, nor even in a steady stream. No, this was the kind of weather which chiefly resembles a series of small waterfalls chasing each other down the street. As a result of this weather, I was taking the trail home. (That is, the old train tracks that run through our town. They run most of the length of town, and are enclosed by trees most of the way. Hence, not much wind.) I had taken my glasses off, since there was enough water in the air that I actually saw better without them then with the glasses on. Anyone who knows how blind I am without my glasses, you have a fine idea just how wet out it was. It wasn't very warm either.

So I'm biking as fast as I possibly can, and abruptly it gets easier to petal. A horrible though flits across my frozen consciousness. Sure enough, the seam in the back of my skirt has taken upon its self to do some quick alterations to my garments. My skirt can now not in all decency by dignified with that name. In fact, there is not really an item of decent clothing in Western Civilization that my former skirt can now be described as. Clearly, emergency plans for getting home unseen must be made.

Due to the weather, the streets are pretty much deserted. I can make it most of the way home unseen. But there are still two major roads to cross, and they always have traffic on them. A search of my pockets for something, anything, turns up my library key. Eureka!

So, I slunk through the back streets to the (closed) library, let myself in with my lovely key, and hung out there for three hours, until the sun went down. I did planning work, clocked in my hours, and made it home under cover of darkness.

No comments:

My fabulous life in Microcosm! No really, it's called Twitter. Good train, you should get on.

    follow me on Twitter